Sunday, June 25, 2006

it's been a long time and a bear up a tree!

Boy, it's been a while since I messed with the blog. I don't think a whole lot happened in the beginning of the week. I sure didn't take any pictures or do much outside. It was the last week of school, and I think I was a bit lazy.

Regardless, the end of the week ended with a lot of work done, so that's very cool.

But first, I want to talk about the bear that Vanna ran up a tree Wed. night. It was probably around 10 or so, when I heard her barking like crazy. I ran out to see what was going on, and found her on the side of the house, barking at something in a small cluster of trees and bushes there. She wouldn't go in, which is unusual if she is chasing squirrels, so I knew that something was up. Sure enough, I heard a really loud crashing noise a couple of times before I realized that there was a big something that had climbed up the tree. Honestly, I thought it was a cougar. Perhaps it was, I'm not really sure. I guess someone swears she saw one in her yard around this area, but who knows? I'm assuming it was a bear. It was big, anyway. I started making some noise with Vanna, and pretty quickly the thing jumped out of the tree and took off, Vanna in hot pursuit. If it were a cat, I'm assuming that it would have been more aggressive, but what do I know!

The DNR came to pick up the trap later in the week, and that was ok with me. We've got the coop pretty tight, now, and I feel more comfortable seeing that whatever was up in the tree wasn't aggressive to either Vanna or myself. I think we'll be ok. The strawberries are out, and that's their meal preference, so that's also good. Regardless, it was kind of cool. Although I'm not saying I'm into having bears crash at The Goat or anything. It was just a little bit cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home