Thursday, June 15, 2006

bear attack!!

Some devastating news this morning...we had a bear in the coop. He/she tried to tear down the large front doors of the barn--almost succeeded, but then ripped down the wood part of the fence and got into the coop. We lost 8 chickens, 3 turkeys and a guinea. I couldn't believe it. I shut them all up at 11, and then didn't go to bed until 12:30. Vanna and I didn't hear anything after that.

But the carcasses were everywhere. The rest of the birds seem to be in shock. They're so quiet and they're huddling together inside. I still can't believe it. I haven't gotten a hold of the guys yet as they are at their dad's, but I'm not looking forward to telling them. It's going to be hard for them to take.

I called the DNR and am supposed to hear back from them soon, and Matti and I will be sitting outside tonight with some shotguns. We know they'll be back tonight, and there is no way to keep a bear out of any place when they want in, other than scaring it. We don't want to kill it, by any means, but if it continues, I'm afraid for Bill and the others.

And Diane is seeing a bear with at least one cub in her neck of the woods a lot. It just isn't safe.

I'll keep you posted....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home