Friday, June 09, 2006

I got bill problems!

Forgot to mention that Diane is coming over today to help me finish the roof on the barn. Can't wait to get that finished. I put the turkeys out there yesterday, hoping that we wouldn't get any rain. They're a bit dense and forget to get out of the rain, freezing themselves and then dying. With the roof fixed, they won't have to think about it and I won't have to worry. The great thing is that my house is finally fowl free, there is no barnyard essence floating around, and it was actually quiet last night! I slept just fine!!!

Speaking of turkeys, while I was getting them ready for the barn, I let them run lose in the house for a bit. Immediately the big guy started showing off his fine feathers, rubbing up against the chickturkeys, and dominating the smaller males. It's a power thing, I reckon. But he sure was magnificent!



On to the continuing saga of Bill. My new problem with Bill is that he is in love with me. I know, it is somewhat flattering (at least there's someone who's crazy about me!) and one wouldn't think that would be a problem, but it really is. He hears my voice and comes running. Fast. Like if he were any bigger it would freak me out. He follows me around everywhere, including the coop, where he insists on getting into the turkey pen and causing problems. The guy I bought Bill from said that he would eat fowl so having him hang out with the turkeys isn't going to work. When I chase him out, he is totally offended, grunts like crazy, and tries to break the door down. Great. Another 50 pounds and I am in serious trouble.

When I go into the house, he circles the house, trying to get in, banging against the side. I swear that the house shakes. Because the house is built into a hill, we have some windows on the north side that allow him to see inside the house. He's been pressing against the screens, grunting for me. That is so not good.

I think it's the belly rubs. He hungers for them. He lays down, rolls over, and shows me his underside. It's not all that cute, really, but I close my eyes and give him the rub down. He grunts like crazy, and gets a bit put out when I've had enough.

What a nut.

Here's a picture of Bill's ear:


He and Vanna are having some difficulties as well. I think they're jealous of each other. If I'm not looking, Vanna will chase Bill back to his house. And somehow she always knows when he's getting a belly rub (I'm sure the loud grunting gives it away) because there she is, asking for her own.

Yesterday I was petting Vanna and Bill came up and tried to eat her leg. Then he did it again. Geez. Vanna may be in trouble pretty soon! I've got to call that guy about the electric fence. I know that Bill will be very offended and hurt to be made to stay in one area, but I think it has to be. He's just going to be getting way to freaking big. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

2 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate to say I told you so...
--MDR

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger neely said...

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home