Wednesday, June 14, 2006

outside chick run

I did finish the outside run for the chickens/turkeys/guineas on Saturday. It didn't take me very long, actually. Right at the end I ran out of fencing, but was able to fudge and use some old pieces of board. It works just fine. I still need to make doors to the coops and the gate for the outside run, so I'm hoping to get that done this weekend. We're using boards and cement blocks at the moment, and it seems to be working well. We haven't lost anyone yet.

We are a bit worried about the turkeys, though, who insist on flying over the fence to get to the grass on the other side. A whole lot of the same grass inside the fence, but like most of us, they are only interested in what is a bit out of reach. Dogs, pigs, and cats lurk on the other side, but nope, they have to get over. Sounds way too human-like to me.


There are some fine looking roosters in the bunch of chicks. They are working on their wakeup call, but end up sounding like a sick cow. It's pretty funny. I told the guys that when their voices start to change, they'll sound the same way. Not sure they believed me.

Here's a picture of Chirp, our beautiful black rooster. He always perches on our shoulders, and comes running whenever he hears the boys. I named him after a pet chicken I had when I was a kid.



Here's the other teenage boy in the mix:



So everyone seems to be getting along these days. Here's a picture of the rooster and turkey cuddling together:



And Buick, our neighbor's dog, and Vanna:

I guess we are the farm to visit for a good time.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home