Wednesday, June 27, 2007

turkey problems!

So now we have turkey problems! 2 big ones, actually. Wandering problems. As in wandering down the road, going to the neighbor's house, like as early as 6:30 am, strutting their stuff under the windows, letting loose their gold all over the deck, etc. Yep, as in 2 big daddies causing lots of problems. I think it might have started because Lizzy, the female turkey, is sitting on a nest! I was totally freaked out one night because I couldn't find her and was pretty sure that she was a goner. She had been flying over the fence to wander and even though she is pretty big, I was still sure something had happened to her. I called Diane up crying and she was pretty sure that Lizzy wasn't missing at all, but was just hiding. Sure enough, I found her later that morning! Yippee. She was hiding behind Bill's old house. We tarped the area and made sure that she has food and water handy, and she pretty much sits there the whole day except for an early morning and late evening jaunt around the place. I hope her chicks hatch, and even if not, at least she seems to be pretty happy to be trying the family thing. Of course there is always going to be the problem, as Dave pointed out, of trying to figure out who the daddy is!

Anyway, Lizzy setting is probably the start of the Mr. Turkey problems. We also had a neighborhood progressive dinner and the Mr's where following us down the road as we headed to Judy's house. My friend Mickey came to visit from Ashland and he and I had to run them back to the barn. We thought we lost them, but nope, they probably went down the road until they heard the neighbors talking and decided that they would join them for a while. I guess they were helping the guys out with one of the cars they were working on.

Regardless of their reasonings, they have found that their wandering has required new housing for them. I feel really bad, actually, because they love people so much, but I just can't have them visiting where they aren't welcome. My neighbors were quite put-out about it, and with good reason.

The funny thing is that those Mr's are brutal to the big dogs that live over there. The dogs are terrified of them. It's pretty funny.

Anyway....here is a picture of Lizzy hiding, and the next is a picture of the big guys in their restricted housing.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home