Friday, May 26, 2006

now I'm pooped!

It's been a few days since I wrote, but geez, has it been busy around here! The duck and goose house is built, and the chicks are in the coop! And my house is clean. It's a bloody miracle. No longer am I waking up to the smell of the perfume Barnyard Essence wafting up the stairs. Yep sometimes it's all just really good.

Builiding the duck house was amazing. I was desperate, I had to go teach, had to deal with poor Bill who still wasn't feeling too good, and then, on top of that, I had swarms of black fly all over me. I've got welts all over my body and my head, and they itch like bloody crazy. I've decided that black flies, as much as I hate them, have been incredibly motivating. One cannot stay still for longer than a second without getting completely covered with the bastards. It's why the duck house got built so fast. Well, that and Barnyard Essence every morning.

It went so smoothly it was wonderful. I only had to redo 2 things, and that was because I changed my mind after the fact. I still need to put wood on for the siding, and I'll also put a green metal roof on, but it's looking pretty good! Not bad for my first duck house.

When I tried to put the fence up, I realized that it would be easier if I had a wooden frame. THere were some really old 2x6s laying around so I dug a trench into the ground, fitted them in, put posts in between them, and had a much easier time with the fence. I think it is a bit safer as well.

Here are some pictures:





The chicks are in the coop as well, but I realized tonight that I made a big mistake. I had forgotten to put chicken wire on one part of the coop. I counted the chicks about 6 times, and am still not sure if I lost one or not. Lots of things want to eat them, and I felt guilty leaving them out there last night, and even worse thinking one might have gotten eaten. Big bummer. I fixed the coop, and then Buck helped me put the big doors back on the barn. I sure hope they are safe in the morning...


1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger neely said...

Hi there, Korinne!

How are you? I think there are photos of the guys in the earlier posts, but because I'm always the one with the camera, I never get any pictures taken! One of these days!

Hope that you and your family are doing well!
Take care,
Neely

 

Post a Comment

<< Home