Saturday, May 20, 2006

it's just too much poop

And it's just wrong. I mean, really, how many times can a goose or duck poop in any given minute? And what is the possible trajectory of such a poop? Oh, they work it. I'm pretty sure they have contests to see which of their poops can fly the farthest.

They start out innocently enough, quacking, and looking at you real cute-like, turning their heads up at you so they can get a good look at you. You smile, tell them how sweet they are, and then, with horror, you notice a little gleam begin to develop in their eyes. "NO!" you exclaim, but it is too late. They have already begun to waddle backwards, gaining as much momentum as they can. Just as they reach the back of the wire cage they let loose, turning with anticipation to see their wet joy splattered all over the floor, or on the unsuspecting human, dog, or cat that just happens to be passing by. "Woohoo," they all cheer as the next little bastard lines up.

That's why they drink so much water. It loosens up their stools and gives a much greater splat effect. See, it's not just the exact spot where the poop lands that counts, they also consider the far reaching drops that hit like a foot farther than the original big one.

I worked like a mad woman yesterday in the barn trying to get it ready for these hellish poopers. Moe and Liz stopped by and put some more hours into getting the sale ready, freeing up more room for the pens. I need to put a few walls and doors up, and I'm hoping to pull that all off today. Diane and Alex might stop by to help me, too, which will be great. Their incentive to work is different than mine, so hopefully my working them to exhaustion won't hurt our friendship. But Diane did comment that the house is starting to smell a bit on the rank side, so I think she just might understand. It will be a long day, but I refuse, and I mean refuse, to have The Goat House be the playing field for a bunch of geese and ducks who think the length of their poop trajectory determines their goose/duck hood.

Plus the chicks are starting to fly, and would like a little more space.

What is crazy is that the turkeys have really gotten huge in the last few days. The minute we open their cage, they are flying onto our shoulders, and are happy to walk around with us as we do our chores. Unlike some nameless poopers, their excrement tends to be small, hard, and delicate in nature. Most of the time.

I'll post some pictures of all the work later. Right now, the big poopers are going to take a swim in the bathtub to clean off and so that I can get their cages cleaned. I hope I can find my clothes pin for my nose. Holy Smokes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home