Sunday, September 24, 2006

not too much happening

except that I do have 3.5 holes dug for my wood shed. Yippee. Geez, if I don't get my butt in gear I'm going to be in serious wood trouble like I was last year. I'm pretty sure I'll get it done, really, but it's going to be close.

I ate my first goose egg this morning. Oh man, was it delicious. Seriously tasty. The difference between store bought eggs and fresh eggs is unbelievable. It was about 2x the size of a duck egg, which I have also been getting. Maybe one every other day or so. I don't know how often geese lay eggs, but I found this one a few days ago. Since then, nothing. I get a bit worried that they are laying them outside and who knows where, but hopefully they'll start laying inside as winter approaches.

I'm going to have problems with keeping all the fowl in one place. The ducks are just messy and bossy, the guineas are taking to terrorizing everyone else, including the turkeys, who really just want to be left alone. I am definitely not sure how this is going to work out. For next season, the guys are going to pick out hens only, and ones that can handle cold weather and still lay a lot. It will be a lot better than having tons of roosters running around trying to make with all the chicks. Poor girls!

I did spend Thursday night celebrating some friends birthdays. Kurt bought everyone he knew beers, (which means he bought a lot because he knows everyone), and we toasted to Wendy whose birthday was the following day. She lives in Alaska and gets to seen views like this:



Here's most of the rest of us:
alt="" />

I also built a communion table for the local Episcopal church. They are starting a meditative, non-traditional service for those of us pagans who like a bit of ritual but can't handle too much of the trappings found in regular services. I went last Sunday night and it was the most beautiful service I have ever been to. I just loved it. I'm not sure the table will fly--I built it out of old goat barn wood, and as much as I love it, it's on the way rustic side. Perhaps too much for even a non-traditional service. We'll see....I'll use the same kind of construction for building another table and shelves for the goat this winter. I think it's going to look awesome.



Otherwise, everyone is good. The guys celebrated their 14th birthday and had a couple of friends over. They got a few hours sleep, I think. It was fun. The electricity went out for a few hours which added to the excitement, and once it came back on, it was movies and video games for who knows how long. I'm tired, that's all I know!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home