Monday, September 04, 2006

the chicks

So the chickens are really growing and some of them are just unbelievably beautiful.

And they are laying!!! I found the first egg by a pile of wood out in the open early last week, and then Rio found another one underneath some stacked wood in a small opening. I'm not sure if they were guinea or chicken eggs, but they sure were cute and tasted excellent. For the rest of the week, I couldn't find any, but I figured that they were hiding them somewhere. Finally, this morning while working on some nests I was building, I found a nest with 6 eggs in it. Awesome!! I left one in a nest box so that hopefully the hens will realize that they can lay in the boxes. I sure don't want to have to be hunting everyday. I'm pretty sure that there must be other nests by the coop somewhere, but I sure can't find them. I did find 2 guinea eggs underneath the brush from the big tree I cut down (more on that later). Rio thought he heard them in there, and he was right. I'll take one egg this evening and put a mark on the other. That way I can keep exchanging the eggs everyday and can make sure that none of them go bad-- otherwise they'll just keep moving the nest. hopefully they'll also start laying in the nests. I sure wish I would have had them finished a few weeks ago. Darn it!!!



The nests were pretty fun to build, although I really wasn't sure how to do it. I used up a bunch of old wood pieces, so it looks pretty sloppy, but I kind of like it. It's got a certain kind of class!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home