Thursday, May 18, 2006

flexible, balanced women

Ok, well I certainly admit that I should not have added the 'en' to 'wom' at this particular point, for I find myself neither flexible nor balanced, but my friend Diane sure is!

I decided that the house is just getting too small for a bunch of geese and ducks that smell to high heaven, and chicks that are itching to fly. The chicks get out occasionally and have a field day, but I do have my limits. And since the Road House is now going to be a workshop once it is cleaned out, the old workshop/barn will be the new chicken coop. I'll keep working on the little one for the turkeys, and I started building a duck and goose house, but I'm taking too long. I'm blaming it a bit on the weather, and think it is a fair and reasonable explanation.

Regardless, the roof on the new coop had no roofing material on it at all in lots of places. We ended up finishing one third of the roof yesterday when we had a lull in the rain which will allow me to get that particular section ready for at least some of the fowl. It should be the ducks so I can get their smelly butts out of here, but we'll see. Think of the mess I'll have to clean up AGAIN if I let them stay in there for a week or two.

Diane came up with the great idea of taking a ladder that we could hook over the top of the roof to climb up on. It's a pretty steep roof. She was up there the whole time, tarring and nailing, and hauling the roofing material up. I got to stay on the ladder below, and our friend, Matti, sat in his red truck and bossed us. It was good. Neither of us had done this before so it was good to get advice on shortcuts. I think we did really well, actually, and I'm quite proud of it. We'll see how it stands through a winter before we can totally brag, but it will keep the water out now. Hopefully next week we'll get the whole thing finished.

Here's flexible and balanced Diane:






P.S. I just got word that Bacon Bits Bill is ready for his new home. It's a shame I'm not ready for him. Did I mention it's going to be a busy weekend? Rain, rain PLEASE stay away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home