Saturday, May 06, 2006

new chicks!

We received our new chicks in the mail from McMurray Hatchery this past Monday. We ordered 25 assorted because we liked the adventure of wondering what kinds of chicks we would get. The guys were on pins and needles worrying about whether the chicks were going to make it safely, and whether they would come in on the scheduled date. They got their homework for Monday on the previous Friday so that they could be here when they arrived. It's a good thing they were here, as I'll explain later! Safe and sound, the little guys were just amazing to watch. They learned to drink and eat immediately, and were happy to have a warm light to rest under. I still can't really figure out how they could survive the trip through the mail, but they are incredibly healthy.




I had to run out for a bit, and while I was gone, a nice-sized snake came into the house through our doggy door looking for a bit of a snack! Fortunately Benj and Rio were here and heard the chicks start making a terrible racket. Rio grabbed the snake just in time. I can handle all the little critters and birds that the cats bring in, but I have to admit that the snake kind of freaked me out. I'm glad I wasn't the one who had to pick it up!




The chicks are still doing great, and are growing an amazing amount of wing feathers. A big difference in just a week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home